Saturday, November 21, 2009

Rain and Wind

It's been raining each day now for over a week, around 250-300mm for the week. My make shift shop has been holding up. The rain hasn't been a problem, I get more worried about the wind. Ever since I started opening up the ends to let the wind blow through it hasn't been as much of a problem, I just have to keep a watch on the forecasts. Maybe it's a little crazy to be doing this boat building thing now, It's cold, wet and windy. On top of that it gets dark around five in the afternoon. But I think for me thats part of what drives me.
If its not a challenge or if its what "most" people would do then I feel less inclined to do it. I think thats maybe why it was so easy for me to get into sailing. I like a challenge as long as it makes sense. Having a worth while product when its all said and done, and being able to enjoy that for years to come makes sense. I also think a lot about how there are people out there who have these thoughts and dreams of someday doing this or that or building a boat or whatever. Yet, life goes on and maybe they aren't able to get around to those dreams. I think for me being younger the idea is that these kinds of activities are for when your older or retired, when you have more time. But I like thinking, why wait! Lets go! Just do it! So, It's two degrees Celsius (36 F) Its raining, you don't have a shop, your renting an apartment, How do you build a boat in this situation? Perseverance. Good landlords. Amazing girlfriend and be willing to work in less then ideal conditions.

Cutting out the seat fronts

Light sighted down the cut line to allow me to see
the pencil mark easier.

Without the flash!

Here is a shot of the built in blower on the jig saw
doing a good job of keeping my line of sight clear.


This is how we do epoxy work when its only two
degrees Celsius outside! I'm using West System
epoxy, cuz thats what I have used in the past. I haven't
used filler before though. The 406 Colloidal Silica by west
system is what I have chosen for filler. It thickens
the epoxy nicely. One nice side effect is that the squeeze
out doesn't drip and run as much.

No, its not a space ship. The plastic sheeting and the
lamp under keeps it above ten degrees celcius, more
then enough for the epoxy to cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment