Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leading up to the scarf

In anticipation of loosing shop space once the jig is fully set up and the bottom panel is attached I have been trying to get as much of the bulkheads and centercase completed beforehand. I now have all the bulkheads ready for placement except the transom. The seat fronts are cut. All my 1"x 6" rough cut Douglas fir has been dressed. I borrowed a thickness planer to do this then on the table saw cut the keel batten and all stringers. I have taken a risk and glued bulkheads four and five together with their braces. The risk is that if not properly measured they will be out of alignment when fitted to the bottom panel and centercase. All of the pieces for completing the assembly of the centercase are cut. I have also decided to fiberglass the inside of the centercase, this will have to be done before the final assembly stage. Once it is put together there wont be enough room to do anything inside. The centercase is a big job, since there are many pieces that need to be attached. They all can't be attached at once, some on the inside some on the outside. Each gluing faze needs 15 hours for the epoxy to cure. Patience!!! This is all leading to the bottom panel and the joining of two full sheets of plywood with a scarf joint. -My excuse is the shop space, I think I am actually avoiding getting on with the scarf joint. An eight to one angle cut along the end of each sheet of ply then mated and glued. The result is a four foot by 16 foot sheet of plywood.

The parts pile


The Measuring pumps make it a nice product
to work with. The pumps automatically give you
the right ratio.


Clamping in the form of weight.

Keeping an eye on the tempurature while waiting
for the epoxy to cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment