Monday, January 18, 2010

Snap crackle pop, gunwales

Stringers are done! The last couple took a while. Originally I had the gunwales cut as per the plans, as a single 40mm by 20mm piece. These had to be bent quite a bit at the bow of the boat. There was a lot of force and I wasn't confident they would bend very easily. I decided to rip the pieces lengthwise to get two 20mm by 20mm sections that could be glued on in stages. Also two sections had to be joined end to end with a scarf to get the full length. While doing a dry fit I realized that each of these sections had been cut from the same 1"x6" board and this board was a freebie from the lumber yard due to some defects. During the dry fit each section snapped in what would have been the same spot when it was still a 1"x6" piece of lumber. I half expected it. But it was still a bit unnerving to have a piece of wood snap and fly out a foot and a half towards where your head was three seconds ago. I had only moved away to go reach for the clamp that would have held this section. It moved fast due to the amount of tension that was on it. Since this was the last piece of Douglas Fir I had to wait a day or so till I had the car and was able to head down and buy another. Then trim, scarf and dry fit again. Now everything is glued on and staying put. She looks good. Next step is the planking!










1 comment:

  1. I do not like the last story. My daughter need you in one piece for manny many years. Anticipate the unexpected

    Oh by the way, she looks beautiful! Like my daughter....

    take care

    ReplyDelete